Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Feb. 13 newsstand: LBGP, Sharp & Danica

More updates, some driver features, and a Scott Sharp/RLR update.

More on Walker's move
Cavin has a piece on Walker's impending move, backing up the AP story that ran yesterday.
Says Walker: "I'm not there yet (with sponsorship), but I'm cautiously optimistic."

Long Beach is on
Even though CC might declare bankruptcy, Long Beach is on. I know, we all knew that, but here it is in the Long Beach Press-Telegram.
Long Beach's City Council did delay a proposed extension of the race's contract. The current deal is supposed to expire in 2010. The LBGP was asking for a 5-year extension, with an option for 5 more years.
Says LBGP chair Jim Michaelian: "We're going to run an event here on April the 20th. I can tell you that."

Judge: Sharp breached RLR contract
Judge Adalaberto Jordan has found Scott Sharp in breach of his contract with RLR for bailing and signing a deal with ALMS' Highcroft Racing. However, will be allowed to race for Highcroft this year.
Says Hon. Jordan in his ruling: "It seems to me that (Sharp) has knowingly breached one agreement in order to enter another. He may continue to race for Highcroft in the 2008 season, but this case shall go on, and he may pay for his choices in the end, quite literally, if a jury views the evidence as I do."

Graham Rahal: "I truly believe this is the last year of the split"
This may be. Graham and Bobby both talk to the Columbus Dispatch, their hometown paper. Says Bobby: "I think it eventually is going to happen, one way or the other. I mean, if I was a team owner in Champ Car, how could I depend on that series?"
And, adds in Graham with a ringing endorsement of his father's racing series: "I used to say specifically that I wanted Champ Car to live and I wanted the IRL to die off, but the truth is, the IRL isn't going to die off because they've got the Indy 500. Right now, the way I look at it we need to have one series, whatever way we can achieve that."

Lots o' Danica in SI
Danica Patrick strikes a (potentially suggestive) pose for SI's swimsuit issue. USA Today and Bleacher Report have stories.
Says Danica: "It was a lot of fun, actually. I expected it to be nerve-racking. I've posed (for many photos) in clothes, but I'd never posed in a swimming suit."

And finally
Speed's David Phillips waxes poetic about the CART/CC fan's best friend, Dan Gurney's "White Paper." Interestingly, at its 30-year anniversary, CART/CC appears to be dead and an Indianapolis Motor Speedway-led organization is set to reign as the sole sanctioning body of open-wheel racing. The split (which to many, began with this piece of paper) may finally be over!

2 comments:

John in Speedway said...

Here's my motivational 2 cents I posted on a couple other sites.

Just thought I would share this motivational comment I posted on mynameisirl.

I still think the Indy 500 is the greatest race in the world, and I will always get the chills at the start of the race. The fact is, if you look at the history of the 500, there were ups and downs. People argue that the 500 isn't what it once was. Well guess what? The track was abandoned and basically turned into a woodsy weed filled meadow during the 40's. Hell, they were going to demolish it. (Enter: Wilbur Shaw and Tony Hulman). The 500 is on it's way back up, just like it has done over and over again for over a century. Up years, down years, it's all cycles, and hopefully this "acquisition" goes through. We are already on our way back up hill either way.

Anonymous said...

By way of illustration, after leading a Coach Wallets
workshop, a participant came to me and said, “I didn’t know that Coach Hamptons
was for Christians too. Coach Legacy
practices sounded good to me, but until now I wasn’t able to make the leap between Coach Luggage
.”