Friday, September 14, 2007

Sept. 14 newsstand

An array of stories tonight ... revenue sharing, analysis, uninformed writers, and Sam DNQing in his first Cup attempt.

Revenue-sharing redux
The Indianapolis Star now checks in on the revenue-sharing story.
The plan laid out here is largely similar to what Robin Miller reported a couple of days ago. It's the lead of Cavin's weekly Pit Pass column, which also mentions the IPS race would've been declared a tie if timing wasn't carried out to the fourth decimal point (which it has been since 2001), instead of the traditional third digit past the decimal.

New driver?
I don't know this source, so I'll put this in the intriguing-but-as-good-as-Yellow Ribbon Racing file. This website says A.J. Allmendinger might be considering getting out of his NASCAR deal and coming to the IRL next year. (thanks to MyNameIsIRL for the link ... make sure you check out his fine blog).

Looking back
IndyCar.com's Dave Lewandowski looks at the diverse array of courses Dario had to do well on to win the championship.
Says Dario: I think the direction the series has been taking and going to different types of tracks, short oval, one‑and‑a‑half milers, the big tracks, street courses, road courses, that makes it more difficult to kind of do a good job on all of those. It leaves me and definitely my guys with a sense of satisfaction, a big smile on our faces."

Some good driver news
NZ Herald: Dixon confident he'll be back
And no mention of NASCAR, too.

Sam's southern sojurn
Sam Hornish Jr. fails to qualify for his first NASCAR Nextel Cup race.
Says Sam: "I went to Indy for the first time with a team that took a car on a flat-bed trailer into the track while everybody else was pulling in transporters. I've been in this situation before and overcame it. It's just today wasn't the day for it."
NASCAR.com checks in with its story.
Says Sam: "If you don't make any of the races, that would make it pretty hard for me to come back. But I've said all along that I want to run the Daytona 500 and I want to run the Brickyard 400. Those are two things that I've had on my priorities list for a long time, that I've wanted to do."

JV isn't the only Indy winner running trucks
Buddy Rice has had a sojurn in the trucks. Jacques Villeneuve is running them now. Scroll down in this story, and find out that Buddy Lazier is going to try them. He's going to run the NCTS race at Vegas next weekend. Good for Buddy, who shows every year in the 500 that he still deserves a ride in the ICS.

Other driver stuff
TK, Dario to run LMP2 at Petit Le Mans

I love ill-informed writers ...
... like this guy, who now trots out the "Danica-to-NASCAR" rumors, and lumps IndyCar in with Champ Car as "heading for a dismal failure." IndyCar hasn't exactly been F1 or NASCAR of late, but the TV ratings were up this year, attendance grew at several events and things seem to be getting better. Now, that other series, well ...

No comments: